Friday, March 2, 2012

Goblin Wolf Riders





Finally have some pics of my wolf riders. Again, I've used different combos of the same colors I'm using throughout my army for the clothing. Since I like to paint one rank at a time, I'll probably pick a single color scheme for the next rank based on one of these guys. Do the next rank of 5 matching the next guy, and so on... but they will all have slightly different skin tones.

The torsos and arms are magnetized, the legs are glued to the wolf. I want these guys to be able to pull double duty if I want to bulk out my foot sloggers, or if I want to switch out their weapons. The quiver has a small magnet embedded in it but no magnet was drilled into the back of the goblin. The magnetic force between the shoulders and the torso is strong enough to hold it in place.



 Wolf #1: The top is chaos black moving down into bestial brown and the bottom is skull white. I added some Fortress grey highlights as well. Then I dipped it in minwax polyshades tudor satin.

Goblin #1: Skin started with a base coat of gretchin green. Elf flesh was added to this for the highlights up to a pure layer of elf flesh. I usually try to do the highlighting in no more than three stages. What I look for is a noticeable jump in tonality with each highlight layer.

The rest of the model was painted with base coats and highlighted up to bleached bone. I try to keep the blending simple and will work up only the highest highlights.

After this is done, the whole rider gets a wash of roughly 50/50 Badab black & Devlan mud. The wash adds in the shading and decent mid-tones and blends the highlights down. It is a very similar effect with what I was achieving with dipping.


Wolf #2: Top is Fortress grey. Bottom is Skull white. I dry brushed the top with skull white. Then, it was dipped.

Goblin #2: Knarloc Green basecoat, highlighted up to Bad Moon Yellow. Then it gets the 50/50 wash.





Wolf #3: Based coated Chaos black. Added some brown and Bleached bone highlights. Then it was dipped.

Goblin #3: Base coated Snot green with Bleached bone highlights. This one required a lot more blending as the jump from the dark green to bone needs more steps to make it smooth. Then, same as the others, the 50/50 wash.


Wolf #4: The top is based with Snakebite Leather. The bottom is bleached bone. I thought the dipping would move the color towards a more neutral brown but it didn't. So it has a kind of red wolf color to it. I still think it turned out pretty good and adds some nice variety.

Goblin #4: Based coated with the OOP Goblin green. The older version had a more khaki/yellow color than the new version. this was highlighted with Elf Flesh. Then the whole thing was washed.



Wolf #5: Base coated with Skull white and then straight into the dip. Gives it a nice dirty white, gobliny look.

Goblin #5: Goblin Green (new version), with a Bad Moon Yellow highlight. Then, surprise! given a 50/50 wash.





And finally, here's the class picture:
Everybody Smile!






No comments:

Post a Comment